HANFORD ELEMENTARY SCHOOL DISTRICT
Under general supervision, to perform routine cleaning work in an assigned school; and to do related work as required.
Custodian I is the entry level class in the custodial series. Incumbents in this class work under close supervision and instruction to perform routine custodial duties.
Custodian II is the journey level classification in this custodial series. As compared to Custodian I, incumbents in the Custodian II classification are expected to work under general supervision on a wider variety of assignments. Custodian II may assist in training the Custodian I level personnel.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Incumbents receive general supervision from professional or higher lead custodian position and exercise no supervision.
· Working from a prepared work schedule, sweeps, scrubs, waxes, and polishes, concrete, linoleum, tile, and wood floors;
· Vacuums rugs and carpets in school site office and rooms;
· Cleans and dusts walls, furniture, woodwork, and other equipment; picks up paper and other refuse on grounds;
· Sweeps walks and entrances;
· Washes, scrubs, and disinfects rest rooms;
· Cleans windows, door glass, and drinking fountains;
· Cleans and polishes metal work such as door panels and hand railings;
· Empties and cleans waste containers;
· Replaces light bulbs;
· Maintains equipment used in the course of work;
· Reports safety, sanitary and fire hazards;
· Performs special custodian work upon request of faculty members;
· Assists in moving or rearranging chairs, tables, desks, furniture and other equipment, set up rooms for special events;
· Performs other duties as required.
NECESSARY EMPLOYMENT STANDARDS
Cleaning methods and the use and care of cleaning materials and equipment.
Learn to use cleaning materials and equipment with skill and efficiency.
Perform heavy physical labor.
Read, write, and understand English well.
Maintains cooperative relationships with those contacted in the course of duties.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Any combination of education and experience that could likely provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge, skills, and abilities would be:
Education: Equivalent to completion of the twelfth grade.
Experience: Custodian I: None required
Custodian II: One year custodian or janitorial experience.
Environment: Indoor and outdoor environment; regular exposure to fumes, and dust and odors.
Physical Abilities: Standing for extending periods of time, bending at the waist, pushing and pulling cleaning equipment, lifting and moving furniture weighing up to 75 pounds, climbing ladders and reaching overhead, above the shoulders and horizontally to replace lights in high places.
Hazards: Exposure to dust and chemicals such as ammonia and bleach.